Tuesday, January 15, 2013

My Take on an Anthropologie Sconce

Anthropologie has amazing home decor products.  If I had the money I'd probably decorate my entire house from items in their store. If only...   But, since I'm poor, I'm going to continue to create projects inspired by products from stores like this.  

This is the original sconce I viewed that inspired me to make my own.  It was posted on Anthropologie for just under $300.  Much too far out of my price range.


What I liked about this particular sconce is that it almost had a flowery appeal to it.  It really made the traditional sconce into something a bit more frilly and fancy (clearly you won't actually be lighting the candle unless you'd like to see the entire thing lit up).   Also,  I loved the mirror backing rather than seeing through to the wall or having  a patterned backing.  The mirror adds depth.











So, this is how I went about creating my own..  First, I scored a rusty old sconce from a Goodwill store for a few dollars.











I then decided I wanted to go with actual flowers rather than the design on the original, however, flowers are very pricey and I couldn't find enough at a discounted rate to cover the entire piece.... so as usual... I just made my own.





I bought a box of petals for $9.99 and bought a package of rhinestones for about $3.  I then got to work hot gluing them together.  All together I made just over 40 flowers.  







I then began to hot glue the flowers to the sconce itself.  I also cleaned up the mirror (it was in pretty bad shape) and added some new candles to the piece.




Here's the final result:


What do you think?  I personally have fallen in love with this and actually like it better then the original that I saw at Anthropologie, the colors fit my decor better and I have to say I like the look of the double candles much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment