Wednesday, January 2, 2013

DIY Painted Canvas Shoes

I have never - and will never claim to be a good artist.   I am a TERRIBLE painter.  Even with the most basic of prints, I will find a way to paint the clothes I'm wearing, my skin, and all over the item I'm attempting to paint!

In this case.. it was shoes.   I love the idea of DIY painted canvas shoes because shoes are one of my favorite things - making a pair custom just adds a cherry to the top!

To paint your own shoes you must first find canvas shoes and be sure that they're nice and clean prior to painting.  I purchased mine for 1/2 off $3.89 at the local Goodwill.   They were in decent shape, although not very pretty.

 
 
 Then get your hands on some acrylic paint, I always have some in the house.



I decided to go with leopard print.  You may paint your shoes any way you desire!



I did the base of all the spots first.  Also - if you're doing a lot of painting, make sure each layer is dry prior to adding more.

 
 
 
 
Next I added the black around the spots.  Leopard print is so easy, somehow I still managed to make it look quit messy!

 
 
 
These are the final product!   Assuming you're a better painter than I am... and that you're not going to take on this project at 2 am out of boredom, you will probably have much prettier shoes than I ended up with!  However, the messiness just sort of goes with my personality so I plan to rock them anyways!  Don't forget to seal your shoes with a matte finish spray (I did three coats, and then topped it off with a waterproofing spray).
 
Happy Painting!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment