Tuesday, January 15, 2013

DIY Canvas Art

As you will soon see, the majority of the crafts and projects I choose to do are designed for the less artistically inclined... like myself.   I loved the idea of DIY Canvas paintings since they are so expensive to buy and often they look so simple to make.    

For this project you will just need some acrylic paints, paintbrushes, canvas, and painters tape.

First, I just took my blank canvas and painted on spots randomly of different colors (I used a base color and then made different tins by adding yellow or white).  That way they all looked nice together.   










When you're finished adding as many colors as you would like - let dry (possibly overnight) before applying any tape.

Once dry you can create any pattern you'd like using painters tape.  Painters tape is great because it comes off very easily without removing any paint.  Also be sure to measure out your piece if you're doing something like a Chevron pattern so the lines turn out even (unlike mine!).

Once the tape is on you need to paint over the canvas that is showing in the color of your choice - I chose to do white.   Let dry overnight before removing the tape to make sure the lines are crisp and you don't smear.  


Now, for my chevron piece I wanted the lines to be very thin, however, since I didn't measure each piece out they came out quite uneven and I'm not very happy with the look.


My diagonally striped canvas however, I'm very much pleased with!  I love the way it turned out and the lines are very crisp and clean.   I haven't decided where I'm hanging it yet but love the splash of geometric pattern that it adds to a room.

1 comment: