Sunday, December 30, 2012

Who Doesn't Love an Anthropologie Knock-Off?

Confetti tumblers anyone?  Alright, we've seen them redone 100 times over on Pinterest.  But, still they intrigued me so I decided to test it out.  These are the originals by Anthropologie. But $10 per glass just seems a bit much too pay when you're a poor college student!  There are a bunch of new Anthropologie DIY sites floating around these days and I have full intentions of testing a few of these ideas out! 

 I found instructions on Pinterest that are extremely simple and easy to follow.  You can see them here

I found some 59 cent tumblers at my local Goodwill (75% off I might add, meaning I got all 4 for less than a dollar!) and decided to try this project out.  I already had some acrylic paints and decided to use just the base colors rather than mixing to create different tints.

 
I started by placing my glasses upside down on a baking sheet
(tin foil to protect the pan from the paint)
 
 
 I used Qtips to dot the pattern on the tumblers.  I strongly suggest using a finer pointed paintbrush as a better alternative.  I didn't particularly like how large the circles were and using Qtips (which probably weren't the best of quality to begin with) allowed the paint to be clumpy. 

 Choose to work with any color combination you desire! 
 
After painting the glasses you will need to let them dry for approx an hour.  Once dry you can bake them at 350 degrees for about 20-30 min.  This will help set the paint so it stays sealed and does not chip as easily. 


 
 These are the final product.  I must admit if I stumble upon another cheap set of glasses (perhaps wine glasses next time...)  I plan to redo these with a smaller paintbrush and a more exciting set of colors.  I think these glasses are fun for decorative pieces or ones you plan to use only on special occasions; however, I'm not too convinced that the paint will be able to  withstand repeated wear and tear from washing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment